CALL AN ADVISOR
Learn how we can help.
The resume looks great!! I have to say it was an absolute pleasure working with you, an experience I will tell many friends and colleagues about. You have done a wonderful job on my resume. I am feeling more confident by the second!
I am very grateful.
Get Your Free Copy Of How To Win Interview Offers Like Clockworkdownload now
The Fundamentals Of A Dynamic Cover Letter
Your cover letter and resume are like a direct sales and marketing package that is designed to sell your individual skills, qualifications and experiences to a potential employer. Employers are looking primarily at what you can provide for the company, how your skills and experience can benefit them. The purpose of a cover letter is to sum that up clearly and concisely so that the recruiters' job is that much easier.
The fundamentals of a dynamic cover letter that convert into interviews are simple. Keep it brief and to the point, demonstrate knowledge and abilities and present professionalism. A dynamic cover letter will encompass all these things and include relevant content that will initiate a response. You don't have a lot of time; in fact, many employers won't read past the first paragraph unless you grab their attention early.
Keep it brief
- Time is money so you need to be concise and to the point, no more than one page of copy is required for a dynamic cover letter.
- Your sentences should be short and clean and paragraphs cohesive and meaningful. 4-5 short paragraphs are more than enough for a cover letter.
Demonstrate knowledge and abilities
- To begin with, you should outline the position you are applying for and how you came across it. E.g. "I am writing to apply for the sales assistant position you have advertised on Job Net. This role is an excellent match with my qualifications."
- In the first paragraph, you should demand the reader's attention by demonstrating what you can do for them. What can you offer them that will set you apart from other applicants? Your unique selling points are what will incite the reader to look at your resume.
- Outline in a sentence or two a few of the benefits you can offer potential employers, results achieved and accomplishments that are relevant.
- Paragraph 2 should expand on this, with a sentence outlining qualifications and experience relevant to the position.
- If you don't have experience in the specific field, focus on skills that are transferable.
- Use dynamic language and copy to sell yourself. High impact words can enhance your message, be careful not to over do it though. These are often called action verbs. They are words that are proven to make an impact on the reader.
- The third paragraph should further relate your skills to the company's requirements. Do your homework and demonstrate your understanding of the company. Company knowledge is essential to a good cover letter. It shows you have taken the time to find out about the company, its goals and culture. Employers want to know you are prepared to put in the work and go the extra mile.
- Show how your unique abilities are a match with company goals and the position's requirements. This is very important; employers want to know how your unique skills are going to benefit them. These need to be presented in a tangible way.
- The final paragraph is a call to action. You need to present a request for further contact such as an interview. Outline how you plan to follow up and how they can contact you. Also, add a final touch of enthusiasm or confidence in your match with the position. Always follow through on what you say your going to.
- Stick to simple designs and standard fonts.
- Double check spelling, grammar and typos.
- Always do what you say your going to and follow up.
- Pay attention to the little things that make a big difference, don't forget to add contact details, check the spelling of company names, titles and address.
Click here to go to the next cover letter article - The 5 elements of a highly effective cover letter
Click here to see the full list of cover letter articles.
Click here to see the full career article library.
Make More Money In A New Job With A Perfect Resume. Free Resume Critique. Free Samples.
Call Or E-mail Now To Start. You Will Be Delighted With The Results.